Great ideas abound. Let's hear yours. Could StudCo ...

Decrease the necessary time to reserve a space through the Source

The current status for all CIO's requesting a space is that they must put in a request for the exact space and time at least 10 business days before the event. This is a ridiculous amount of time necessary for the Source to reserve a single room, a process that in most cases takes less than 15 minutes.

This requirement is prohibitive and absurd. Worst yet, the source will not contact you to let you know it can't be filled often until several days after the request was made. Considering some groups cannot secure a time for everyone to meet until the week of the event, this just encourages organizations to either forgo use of academic spaces entirely or sneak into unreserved rooms at the risk of being caught and asked to leave.

35 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Alex AbermanAlex Aberman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Peter A. FinocchioPeter A. Finocchio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ironically I actually had to go to the Newcomb event planning office this morning to ask about a room for an event with a guest speaker that is happening TOMORROW! So I greatly share your frustration. It's exceptionally hard, if not impossible, to get a lot of guest speakers to confirm a date ten days out. We put in our request a week ago as soon as we heard from the speaker. The Events Planning Assistant told me just now that the Registrar's office approves events on a day by day basis, regardless of when requests were submitted. That, to me, is unacceptable, as I am sure it must be to you as well. I encourage you to come to our Student Council meeting tonight at 6. Our meetings are always open to the public and students are always welcome to express their concerns.

• Peter A. FinocchioPeter A. Finocchio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that this has been a big issue and I know the frustration. One of the CIOs I am involved in frequently brings in guest speakers and it is very frustrating to us, as well as our members, when we can't let folks know where our event is going to be because the Source doesn't get back to us in a timely manner. I will bring this up at tomorrow's Student Council meeting and see what we can do to reach out to the people who manage the Source and encourage greater effectiveness and more timely feedback. Thank you for your feedback!

Feedback and Knowledge Base