Great ideas abound. Let's hear yours. Could StudCo ...

Add More Bus Stops for the IRC

Those who live at the IRC only have one bus route that runs in front of our dorm, the Green Route. In the beginning of the year, this was fine. For many of us, we had ample daylight to walk home and often enjoyed the fresh air. Now, as the weather starts to get cold and darkness begins to fall earlier, the lack of routes running by our dorm is of concern. It can be very uncomfortable to have to walk uphill to McCormick Road or to Central Grounds in hazardous weather. It can also be especially uncomfortable to have to walk a great distance back at night, alone, as a woman. I have checked on the routes of the other dormitories and they seem to be fully serviced by the Inner and Outer U-Loops. Having a bus from either of these routes would greatly benefit our community and the UVa community at large. An Inner Loop or Outer Loop stop could allow UVa students to pick up the CAT 7 or UTS Green Route (the only two stops we have) if they decided to do so.

247 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great proposal. I would also add that while the community in this area is aware of the Herford-IRC express and the one, relatively close North Line stop neither of these routes address the issue brought up here. the Herford-IRC express has very limited times and the North Line stop lacks visibility and practicality. It is especially an issue for the contingent of first years who live in the area. Newcomb is closed for dinner on Friday and Saturday making the walk after dark to O'Hill or Runk the only option.

• AA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The night issue definitely needs to be fixed. It would make a lot more sense to have the IRC/Hereford express run in the evening if we couldn't get and inner or outer loop. I think another thing that makes the IRC/Hereford route so unusable though is that it never seems to show up on Transloc. It is always "Awaiting Prediction" and as such we can't rely on it to get to class.

I was placed in the IRC by housing because of a visual deficit, but this had been the worst possible place given my condition. I have terrible night vision. And there is no safe way to get back from central grounds at night. And walking to the stop at Carrs field is not an option either because it is so poorly lit.

• karlakarla commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At night it would make me feel much safer if a bus came down towards the IRC instead of having to walk through grounds when it's very dark or walk all the way from the corner when it's dark.

This is a wonderful proposal. The closest the Green and Seven routes get are either the Bookstore or by Nau-Gibson, but there is no quick and efficient way of arriving to places like the AFC, O'Hill, or even Central Grounds. Yes, there is the Hereford-IRC Express. However, there is only one bus running at a time, and its operation hours are so limited that it is practically impossible to utilize. Having another bus would be greatly appreciated!

I think there should be another bus route this morning to get to Cauthen I had to ride Green Route to the Curry School and then walk up the side walk to Old Dorms to get on Northline to get off at the stop close to the gym. I never have rode the HXP Bus route, but I did want to stand and wait and be late for class.

• RoxanaRoxana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

sorry, I accidentally tapped the "flag as inappropriate" button!!! BUT I DIDN'T MEAN IT!

This is def a good endeavor that would benefit a wide community living on Emmet street!

I agree that there should be at least one more route. There are plenty of other students besides the IRC residents that would benefit from this.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also agree! While the buses were not allowed to pass across the McCormick bridge last year, we had GREAT bus service!

I agree. IRC needs at least one frequent-running bus that connects us to central grounds.

I absolutely agree with this. Also, the walk from the IRC to Central Grounds is also not exactly smooth. There are steep narrow stairs, uneven sidewalks, cracks & potholes in the road, and other hazards that become very dangerous when there is even the slightest amount of water on it, let alone snow or ice. Either the Inner Loop or the Outer Loop should go by the IRC. This also makes sense because then you would be servicing the Bookstore and Newcomb for those on Central Grounds. It would also split up the traffic of all of the buses that have to go over the bridge. We just need one that goes down to use PLEASE.

Feedback and Knowledge Base