Great ideas abound. Let's hear yours. Could StudCo ...

What do you want to see in UVA's dining contract?

UVA's dining contract is up for renewal, and StudCo Sustainability is interested to hear what you think should be part of it. Some current ideas include: expansion of local and fresh options available, expansion of the composting program, expansion of the reusable to-go container program, etc.

19 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    LiaLia shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    UVa DiningAdminUVa Dining (Admin, Student Council) responded  · 

Hey U.Va.! Don’t wait! If you are interested in Green Dining we need to hear your voice right away, please email me at nj7p to get more information on attending our Green Dining group meetings. Also, we are HIRING MORE Sustainability Interns to move our program forward and support the entire Grounds community with advocacy and resources. Starting pay is $10.65 an hour with a very flexible working schedule. We are also hiring Dining Educators to serve as stewards of the dining program as a whole.

If you have any questions, or need to speak to someone at U.Va. Dining – please reach out. We need to hear from you to make the changes you would like to see in your dining program. Email me directly at nj7p. Thanks!

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • UVa DiningAdminUVa Dining (Admin, Student Council) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Anon:
        We are so sorry that you are disappointed with the dining program. Just FYI for everyone, we do student satisfaction surveys every semester (last semester we had over 3,000 respondents on our surveys) and our scores improved significantly in many areas. I will work on a marketing campaign to more effectively promote how the U.Va. community told us we were doing. We appreciate your feedback and will work harder every day to improve your dining experience. Please feel free to meet with me directly - at any time - just email me at nj7p. Thanks!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

GET RID OF ARAMARK. They're a giant multinational corporation that wouldn't care if we became Virginia Prison tomorrow if they got to keep the dining contract! If we have to keep Aramark, at least let's introduce some competition and perhaps bring in Sodexho and Chartwells and have each company run one dining hall. With our food quality in the bottom 10% of the country according to college prowler, let's take this opportunity to tell Aramark to shape up or ship out - tell Aramark to either get student satisfaction survey results up or to get lost. I own shares in Aramark and have made a great return (at your expense, meal plan holders), but I'd rather take the hit to my stocks and have good dining than make a few extra cents and feel like throwing up every time I enter the dining hall.

• AminAmin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a current participant of the reusable to-go container program, I can testify to its practicality and benefits. However, due to uncertainty and lack of knowledge regarding the program, I didn't take part until only several weeks ago. I feel that UVa dining should take a more active role in educating students on how the program works, and increasing publicity overall. Take a walk around Grounds, or in a library, and you will see trashcans jammed (and often over-filed) with disposable containers. This can be significantly reduced if a fraction of frequent to-go users participate in the reusable program.

Feedback and Knowledge Base