Great ideas abound. Let's hear yours. Could StudCo ...

Eliminate UTS Extended Bus Stops

I understand the concept of having buses wait at certain stops to "stay on schedule" but it defeats the purpose of trying to stay on schedule. If the buses were to continuously run and not stop at certain stops for up to 10 minutes at a time there would be a constant flow of buses so students wouldn't have to worry about missing one. Here is a scenario:

You walking up to the stop across the street from Clark Hall. A bus pulls up. You sprint up to the stop but to no avail, the bus has already left. You then assume "hey I'll just wait for the next one." Little do you know that the next one is five minutes from the Newcomb stop . And once it gets to Newcomb stop it will sit for another 10 minutes. It will be 15 minutes before you see another bus going your way.

Doesn't this seem counterproductive. I have once walked the entire way from Newcomb to O'Hill and not a single bus passes me going in the same direction. They all sit at Newcomb while I walk all the way to O'Hill (late at night might I add). In addition, I cannot fathom why it is productive to have three, yes I've seen three, buses following immediately one after another after another going down McCormick Rd from Newcomb. The UTS should serve to help the needs of students and to accomplish this they should have continuous bus routes in which buses stop at a stop, allow passengers to board, and move on to the next one. The more buses you have moving, the less time you have to wait for a bus. Simple Logic.

16 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    William T MillsWilliam T Mills shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  StudCo ExecAdminStudCo Exec (Admin, Student Council) responded  · 

Thank you for sharing this idea. I will be in communication with UTS to better understand the purpose of these extended stops. If you would wish to meet to discuss this further then don’t hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,
    Neil Branch
    ntb2kw@virginia.edu
    (434) 996-5074

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree! I come from a big city, and buses would stop at these "timed stops" maybe once every half-hour.

• UnknowenUnknowen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The timestops do keep the buses on schedule. Imagine if one Northline kept hitting all red lights and was running a little slow because of it, but the Northline behind it kept hitting all green lights and happened to be running a little fast. Eventually one bus would catch up to the other and you would have 2 Northline buses arriving at stops at the same time and a huge gap between them and the next bus. Without those timestops it would be impossible to predict exactly when a bus will get to a stop. UTS plans the routes and timestops so that you don't have to wait longer than 10-15 minutes at a stop during the daytime for the most heavily used buses

As to the 3 consecutive buses heading down McCormick, that is a road used by 5 different routes, so all 3 buses were most likely going 3 different directions.

Feedback and Knowledge Base