Great ideas abound. Let's hear yours. Could StudCo ...

Expand Mirrored rehearsal spaces

There are over 23 dance/performance organizations at UVA, and more CIOs are adding dance to their activities. Cultural CIOs also hold cultural showcases events twice a year, and these events require numerous amount of rehearsals. Combination of these two creates high demand for all academic and gym spaces that has mirrors for rehearsals. AFC, Forum, Slaughter, and Memorial gym multipurpose rooms are already saturated with dance and performance related activities, too much so that it is almost nearly impossible to find mirrored spaces unless you are a Club Sports. Northgrounds rec center usually has mirrored spaces available, but it is far out of reach and inconvenient for students without cars.

In addition, Newcomb is restricting rehearsal spaces for these dance organizations this year-
We are not allowed to practice in classroom spaces anymore and rehearsals in Chemistry Building has been restricted. Performance CIOs' only option is to book spaces in already-saturated gyms or forum during off-hours.

The high demand for mirrored spaces and increased restrictions for rehearsal spaces only reinforces the shortage of mirrored space shortage.

I propose two different solutions:

1. Give priority to dance organizations when booking O'hill Forum. There are organizations that hold weekly meetings in the Forum that do not require mirrors or the hardwood floor. These meetings could be moved to Ern commons which is not utilized as much as other spaces. Ern commons is also very close to the Forum, therefore proximity won't be an issue. Performance rehearsals require mirrors as well as the hardwood floor, it is crucial that dance organizations utilize this. Organizations that do not require mirrors or the hardwood floor should have their reservations moved to Ern commons instead. This also means that the new Ern Commons will be utilized more, which is in the interest of UVA because they spent a lot of money for the building.

2. Add MIrrors and speakers to SAB. SAB is an under-utilized building. Though it is called 'Student Activities Building', they do not have speakers readily available. When booking SAB, Event Planning advises that we rent speakers from Newcomb for $40. This is absolutely unacceptable because we spend couple hundred for activities fee from our tuition. In addition, Event Planning sometimes pushes your dance rehearsal to SAB and forces you to pay for speaker rentals. It is time to upgrade this old and worn-out SAB. UVA should add mirrors and speakers to this building so that it may be utilized more while fixing rehearsal space issues.

775 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    peterpeter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    peterpeter shared a merged idea: Expand the dance/mirrored rehearsal spaces?  ·   · 

Student Council is working on a solution to this issue. I encourage any CIO leaders who are dealing with this issue to contact me so the Student Concerns Committee can get a better understanding of the situation and your needs!

Caitlyn Veith
    cav3vn@virginia.edu
    10/8/2013
    -——————————————————————————-
    The two ideas were merged due to their similar goals.
    Klaus Dollhopf
    nmd3ey@virginia.edu
    9/17/13

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kevin WuKevin Wu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As far as the first option goes, this is something I've noticed also. There are groups that book O-Hill Forum where they do not require the use of mirrors.

O-Hill Forum is a place where rehearsals and practices are done because it has good wood floor and mirrors. Dance Organizations NEED good floor and would prefer to have mirrors. When another organization books away places like O-Hill that do not need these, dance practices are being confined and limited.

In addition, because of the security limitations on Chemistry Building as well as the Drop-Ins taking up much of the schedule at the AFC, places are more difficult to come by now.

Finally, some dance cultures are spontaneous and will practice when they feel like it. However, because of the needed booking and the removal of Chemistry Building, it's difficult to practice whenever I want.

• glenn gettyglenn getty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We should do the second option. Dance orgs will finally have yet another place to practice in

Feedback and Knowledge Base