Great ideas abound. Let's hear yours. Could StudCo ...

Open a student nap center like JMU's (but better!)

JMU has recently begun the process of opening a "nap nook," which seeks to promote healthy sleep hygiene and education. Very cool idea and I think a lot of UVa students would benefit from this!

http://www.revivethesleepdeprived.com/

290 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    kiana williamskiana williams shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update 10/31/13:

Members of the Student Council Building and Grounds Committee will be meeting in the PAC at noon this Sunday 11/3 to discuss logistics and form a plan for getting in touch with administration about hammocks and student relaxation spaces. Feel free to stop by to have your say or get in touch before then to have your ideas brought up!

Thanks,

Timothy Morris
    Architecture Rep
    Student Concerns Committee
    tjm5zc@virginia.edu

Love the innovation of this idea! However, considering the rehearsal space debacle, it’s become particularly apparent this semester that UVa is currently experiencing a deficit of available student activity space. I’m proposing that we look into having portable hammocks (Google “eno hammocks” for an example) available to rent either through the Newcomb Game Room, Libraries, or perhaps the 21 Box on the Lawn (if it comes back this year). This option would allow us to nap where and when we like without requiring a designated space. I acknowledge that this would favor warmer weather, but it seems like a feasible step in the right direction.

Please contact me directly about feedback on this idea or suggestions of how we can push toward a nap center at UVa.

Best,

Timothy Morris
    Architecture Rep
    Student Concerns Committee
    tjm5zc@virginia.edu

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • kiana williamskiana williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the Clarke rooms would not be available, would it? As in, the small meeting rooms. They're secluded enough to not be a lot of noise but open and visible for those studying to see and all of that area seems to be very mindful with noise level. Only one of those meeting rooms is the necessary size for such an idea.

I LOVE the alternative idea of hammocks. I think Newcomb would be a better option over the lawn because it's THE student activities center, so it resides as a sort of "hub" of student life. Are these hammocks hard to set up/could be set up indoors? Would we then need to make an outline of rules for these things?

I think this is a great idea and really appreciate you getting back to me about it. These are my opinions thus far but I will keep in contact with all others that have contacted me with interest in this idea and see what they think!

Feedback and Knowledge Base