Great ideas abound. Let's hear yours. Could StudCo ...

Go Fossil Free - Divest from dirty energy companies

Global warming is a serious issue that has already severely affected many in the US and around the world. Hurricane Sandy proved climate has changed.

350.org and many other groups are encouraging colleges and universities to take a stand against global climate change by divesting from fossil fuel companies that pollute the environment - just like they did in the 1970s to stop apartheid in South Africa. Corporations only listen to the power of money - and UVA has quite a lot of it - so we can invest better elsewhere. It doesn't make sense to value sustainability and invest in a future where the world is burning up, droughts floods and crop failure are common, and many thousands are displaced because their homes are literally under water.

Please share this to get UVA Investment Management Company (UVIMCO) - the people that manage the endowment - to divest our tuition and donations from dirty coal, oil, and gas corporations.

Learn more at www.GoFossilFree.org

167 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Concerned CavalierConcerned Cavalier shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Neil BranchNeil Branch responded  · 

Thank you for bringing this important issue to Student Council. I would like to invite you to speak to Student Council about this issue at one of the Tuesday general body meetings in Newcomb Hall South Meeting Room at 6 PM. You will speak during the community concerns section in the beginning. If you have any further questions about this please call (434) 996-5074.

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Divest UVA will be a new group on grounds this spring, an on grounds partnership with the national Fossil Free campaign. Email me if you're interested in getting involved at hmm7cs@virginia.edu

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is so important-- Universities around the country are going to do this. It would embarrassing not to be one of them.

Feedback and Knowledge Base