SpeakUpUVa

Student life on Grounds is good. Real good. But together, we can make it even better. So, Speak Up UVA. We’re listening. And so are your fellow Hoos. Use your votes to bump up the ideas that you’re passionate about. It’s like shouting from the Rotunda steps, only better.

Great ideas abound. Let's hear yours. Could StudCo ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Add Sexual Offenses as an Honor Code Violation.

For a school that holds its precious Honor Code with such high esteem, I find it beyond baffling and quite enraging that sexual offences are not included on the list of honor offences. On a daily basis, countless individuals get away with life-damaging assaults and further increase the societal notion that such heinous crimes are not only tolerated but acceptable. I've witnessed schools like Yale, Princeton, and the University of Virginia treat sexual assault victims, the very students who have given so much of their lives to their educational institutions, be treated as nothing more than a statistic, or worse,…

590 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      2 comments  ·  Honor  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Add More Bus Stops for the IRC

Those who live at the IRC only have one bus route that runs in front of our dorm, the Green Route. In the beginning of the year, this was fine. For many of us, we had ample daylight to walk home and often enjoyed the fresh air. Now, as the weather starts to get cold and darkness begins to fall earlier, the lack of routes running by our dorm is of concern. It can be very uncomfortable to have to walk uphill to McCormick Road or to Central Grounds in hazardous weather. It can also be especially uncomfortable to have…

250 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        13 comments  ·  UTS/Transit  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • More quality work space in the E-School

There seems to be a limited amount of quality work space in the E-School. Thornton Stacks and Rice lobby/rooms are often filled at peak hours, and the other buildings don't seem to be much better. Also half of the electrical outlets in the Rice lobby are duds. Could we get some of those fixed and open more space for students to work? Rice especially seems to have a large number of restricted rooms that, if opened, could help alleviate the problem.

63 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          2 comments  ·  Building and Grounds  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Expand Mirrored rehearsal spaces

There are over 23 dance/performance organizations at UVA, and more CIOs are adding dance to their activities. Cultural CIOs also hold cultural showcases events twice a year, and these events require numerous amount of rehearsals. Combination of these two creates high demand for all academic and gym spaces that has mirrors for rehearsals. AFC, Forum, Slaughter, and Memorial gym multipurpose rooms are already saturated with dance and performance related activities, too much so that it is almost nearly impossible to find mirrored spaces unless you are a Club Sports. Northgrounds rec center usually has mirrored spaces available, but it is…

776 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            3 comments  ·  Student Arts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Student Council is working on a solution to this issue. I encourage any CIO leaders who are dealing with this issue to contact me so the Student Concerns Committee can get a better understanding of the situation and your needs!

Caitlyn Veith
            cav3vn@virginia.edu
            10/8/2013
            -——————————————————————————-
            The two ideas were merged due to their similar goals.
            Klaus Dollhopf
            nmd3ey@virginia.edu
            9/17/13

• Make Clarke a 24/7 library!

Devote more resources to keeping Clarke a 24/7 library. It has a much better studying environment than Clemons.

56 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              1 comment  ·  Library  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Enhancing the Caviler Computer Experience

I propose that Cav Computers operate like any other computer repair service. Specifically, they should have computer parts in stock in order to expedite repair. After being on the wait list for at least 3 days, most computers end up needing an ordered part which takes another week. Consequentially, students take loaner computers and as the wait list piles up, many students have to accept a loaner computer that is not of "comparable value" as the Cav Computer agreement ensured. We should work with Cav Computers to come up with a solution to enhance our experience with them lest we…

26 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                0 comments  ·  Academic Affairs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • There should be an initiative involving students and the homeless community on the Corner/around Grounds.

The homeless population is growing, and they sit there day after day, yet students walk past them without knowing their names, making eye contact, or acknowledging their human existence. The initiative in no way needs to be about giving money, but they are part of our community and deserve equal human respect. UVA students should work to engage the homeless community.

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Community Affairs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • More doors for Clemons

I think there should be a door on the first floor of Clemons. Why can't we get in and out of the library easily???

20 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Building and Grounds  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Decrease the necessary time to reserve a space through the Source

The current status for all CIO's requesting a space is that they must put in a request for the exact space and time at least 10 business days before the event. This is a ridiculous amount of time necessary for the Source to reserve a single room, a process that in most cases takes less than 15 minutes.

This requirement is prohibitive and absurd. Worst yet, the source will not contact you to let you know it can't be filled often until several days after the request was made. Considering some groups cannot secure a time for everyone to meet…

47 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      2 comments  ·  Community Affairs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Open a student nap center like JMU's (but better!)

JMU has recently begun the process of opening a "nap nook," which seeks to promote healthy sleep hygiene and education. Very cool idea and I think a lot of UVa students would benefit from this!

http://www.revivethesleepdeprived.com/

291 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        2 comments  ·  Safety & Wellness  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update 10/31/13:

Members of the Student Council Building and Grounds Committee will be meeting in the PAC at noon this Sunday 11/3 to discuss logistics and form a plan for getting in touch with administration about hammocks and student relaxation spaces. Feel free to stop by to have your say or get in touch before then to have your ideas brought up!

Thanks,

Timothy Morris
                        Architecture Rep
                        Student Concerns Committee
                        tjm5zc@virginia.edu

Love the innovation of this idea! However, considering the rehearsal space debacle, it’s become particularly apparent this semester that UVa is currently experiencing a deficit of available student activity space. I’m proposing that we look into having portable hammocks (Google “eno hammocks” for an example) available to rent either through the Newcomb Game Room, Libraries, or perhaps the 21 Box on the Lawn (if it comes back this year). This option would allow us to nap where and when…

• 1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  Student Life  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Start adding standing desks at the back of classrooms

Studies have shown that sitting down all day is detrimental to our health. It would be great to install some standing desks at the back of a few classrooms as pilot programs. It might encourage more people to be more healthy and to pay attention more in class.

13 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Safety & Wellness  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Open PLSB!

Ever since the bio-psych library closed last year, biology/chemistry students have no convenient place to study that it close to the chemistry building. PLSB is a beautiful, light, inviting space with whiteboards (super necessary for science classes) and plenty of room for studying, but it is not accessible after hours! If administrators are concerned about the safety of labs, they are already locked, so allowing students access to the building at night should pose no safety risk. Commerce students get to swipe into their own building; let science students do that as well! Having PLSB open at night would make…

20 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Remove Non-Western Perspective Requirement for Students Who Study Abroad

It is ridiculous that students who have studied abroad or who have gone on Semester at Sea (for a semester) can't graduate on time because they are missing a non-western perspective requirement. Why is a class on vampires considered "non-western" while a course taken in another country is not? The best way to learn about the world is to see it!

7 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Add electrical outlets to the outdoor area that has tables and chairs right outside of Clemons Library

It would be nice to work outside all day when it gets nice again, but a lot of the time people need to charge laptops/phones/etc... Anyway we could get some outlets out there?

8 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Parking Spots should not be reserved at all times

I understand that certain UVA faculty need a parking spot at all times of the day. However, there a many parking spots around grounds that are rarely taken after normal business hours. I believe parking spots should be reevaluated and monitored on weekday evenings and on weekends. Spots with the least usage should be changed so they can be used instead of just sitting there wasting space.

6 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  UTS/Transit  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Add more majors and minors.

Why isn't there a journalism major or a business major or minor? I find it messed up that people have to apply for majors and minors, for example like Human Biology, Neuroscience, and Global Development Studies. I understand that there may be a lack of space due to resources, but it seems like money is not the issue at UVA, since people are able to apply for grants and earn them easily. You guys are discouraging kids from pursuing their dreams by putting an application on everything. I have had enough with these dumb applications. Not every single thing needs…

3 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Tuition Rise Protest

I have a strong objection to the tuition increases that have just been approved by the school's board. As students, we are neither informed nor asked to participate in this process, that is nevertheless affecting us all. As an out-of-state student, I am already finding my education at UVa difficult to continue. With an increase in tuition, it will be practically impossible not only for me, but for all others who have shouldered the same burdens.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Keep the UTS busses running on game days.

Not everyone goes to the football games, and some even have classes/university commitments on game days. Coming from someone that lives fairly far off grounds, but just within then Outer/Inner Bus Loops, and has such commitments, I would much appreciate the buses running on game days. It seems unfair to disrupt the schedules of those not attending the games.

45 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 comment  ·  UTS/Transit  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Extend the Drop Deadline

As of right now, only the School of Engineering allows students to drop without a W after the first two weeks of classes. I think at least certain schools should extend the drop deadline to when the engineering school's cut-off date is, as by that time, most people have taken their first midterm or turned in their first paper and know where they stand in the class. The first two weeks are usually spent going over basics and don't give students enough time to know how much time they will need to put into the class or if they have…

9 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base